Recently Tenda sent us some of their product’s to review following their partnership with the UK PC component distributor Target, today I have been trying out the Tenda W541U V2.0, this is a USB wireless adapter which connects to WiFi b and g networks (IEEE 802.11bg and IEEE 802.11g.).
When you open up the product’s packaging you may be quite shocked to see how little there is inside, in fact you get a CD-ROM and the USB adapter, if you want to read the product’s manual it can be found on the disc.
The adapter itself has a very solid plastic housing and there is an LED which blinks when there is activity, also on the underside of the dongle there are details such as its model number and MAC address.
When I plugged it into my Windows 7-based computer it automatically installed itself and was ready to go in roughly 2 minutes, on my XP-based computer installation required the CD-ROM and took roughly 5 minutes.
The standard installation installs the Tenda wireless utility, this is useful on older computers which run Windows 2000, however I prefer to allow Windows to manage my connections, the Tenda software can be useful if you want to see full details regarding connections speeds or perhaps set it up as an access point.
In terms of signal strength and connection speed there are no real surprises, using the USB adapter I got roughly the same connections speed as my DLink PCI WiFi card, I used the USB adapter for 8 hours with no connection loss which proves the hardware and drivers are both stable.
There is not much else you can say about this USB adapter, it is cheap, easy to install, well-made and has pretty strong signal, you will be able to buy yours from Target soon, a retail price is unknown at present, you can find out more about the W541U V2.0 here.
Here is a full list of specifications and features:
- Omni-directional internal antenna
- Supports WMM for improved audio and video signals
- Supports wireless roaming technology for highly efficient connections
- Provides easy to use configuration and monitoring interface
- WPS (PBC and PIN) enabled device
- Supports Soft AP to establish a quick wireless LAN network
- Detects wireless network and changes transmission rate automatically
- Supports 802.1x security authentication standard
- Meets 64/128-bit WEP, WPA, and WPA2 security standards
- Provides 54Mbps transmission rate
- Provides two working modes: Infrastructure and Ad-Hoc
- Complies with IEEE 802.11g and IEEE 802.11b standards
*Identifying Monetised Links - outgoing links that we monetise are marked with an '*' symbol.