We recently told you about the update from Sony and the restoration of its PlayStation Network. The service has been down following the security breach in April, and it seems Sony have been proactive before PSN status is back up.
It looks like the company has stopped a fresh attack on its servers at the weekend according to an article on Cnet by Erica Ogg. The planned attack was prevented as Sony had seen news of the attack originally reported on Cnet, so the company was able close off any route into its servers.
A post on Internet Relay Chat channel which is used by the hackers said that “Sony saw that article”, and continued by saying their opportunity had passed. The article in question was posted last Thursday and warned of an upcoming attack on Sony.
The company had said on Saturday that it had also removed names of 2,500 entrants to an old Sony competition held back in 2001, after they had been copied from an old part of Sony’s website. So far no one has come forward and claimed responsibility for the security breaches, but Anonymous have denied any involvement.
With no end in sight to the ongoing problems for Sony, we will just have to sit tight and wait for official news to come from the company with a date for services to be resumed.