Whenever we read the technology news we learn that one company is suing another for patent infringements, the latest two battling it out is Apple and HTC. The former is accusing the latter of infringing on 20 of its patents relating to the iPhone, as a result Apple is fighting for a cease and desist order.
If successful then this could cause a huge problem for the current Android program, but would it ever get that far? According to an article on ZDNet, Apple claims that HTC is violating patents to its popular iPhone handset regarding its user interface, although Apple have not been forthcoming with the specifics.
As you would expect Steve Jobs has made a statement, which you can read on the ZDNet website. The U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) certainly has its work cut out, cell phone makers suing each other is beginning to become a common occurrence, Apple already have their own troubles with the likes of Nokia and Kodak, which you can read more about in a recent article.
With Apple launching this attack on HTC, ZDNet wonders if it is not directed at Google, as they are both partners in a number of Android based smartphones? It is no secret that the range of Google Android phones is a big threat to Apple’s iPhone; suing HTC for patent infringements is certainly a way to get them to take their eye of the ball.
Below is the complete list of alleged patent infringements:
- ‘076 Patent, entitled “Automated Response To And Sensing Of User Activity In Portable Devices”
- ‘105 Patent, entitled “GMSK Signal Processors For Improved Communications Capacity And Quality”
- ‘331 Patent, entitled “Time-Based, Non-Constant Translation Of User Interface Objects Between States”
- ‘354 Patent, entitled “Object-Oriented Event Notification System With Listener Registration Of Both Interests And Methods”
- ‘381 Patent, entitled “List Scrolling And Document Translation, Scaling, And Rotation On A Touch-Screen Display”
- ‘453 Patent, entitled “Conserving Power By Reducing Voltage Supplied To An Instruction-Processing Portion Of A Processor”
- ‘599 Patent, entitled “Object-Oriented Graphic System”
- ‘726 Patent, entitled “System And Method For Managing Power Conditions Within A Digital Camera Device”
- ‘849 Patent, entitled “Unlocking A Device By Performing Gestures On An Unlock Image”
- ‘949 Patent, entitled “Touch Screen Device, Method, And Graphical User Interface For Determining Commands By Applying Heuristics”
*Identifying Monetised Links - outgoing links that we monetise are marked with an '*' symbol.