The 2016 DICE Award winners are in with Fallout 4 taking the spot for Game of the Year, Outstanding achievement in game direction, and RPG and MMO game of the year. This is something many fans of the game expected, although there’s plenty more winners with Bethesda Game Studios picking up four awards in total.
Other titles doing well included Star Wars Battlefront and Rise of the Tomb Raider taking two awards each, as well as Rocket League, Ori and the Blind Forest, and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt taking three gongs each.
There was plenty of memorable moments this year including the character of the year presented by Courtney Draper and Troy Baker. They picked up on pay disparity in the games industry and noted that five of the six nominated characters were women.
Other DICE Award winners for 2016 included:
- Outstanding achievement in game design: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Sprite award: Rocket League
- Adventure game of the year: Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
- Technical impact: Visual Basic (Microsoft)
- Handheld game of the year: Helldivers
- Outstanding achievement in online gameplay: Rocket League
- Racing game of the year: Forza Motorsport 6
- Sports game of the year: Rocket League
- Hall of Fame inductee: Hideo Kojima
- Strategy and simulation game of the year: Heroes of the Storm
- Outstanding achievement in art direction: Ori and the Blind Forest
- Outstanding achievement in animation: Ori and the Blind Forest
- Outstanding technical achievement: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Outstanding achievement in story: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Outstanding achievement in sound design: Star Wars Battlefront
- Outstanding achievement in original music composition: Ori and the Blind Forest
- Lifetime achievement: Satoru Iwata
- Outstanding achievement in character: Lara Croft (Rise of the Tomb Raider)
- Mobile game of the year: Fallout Shelter
- Family game of the year: Super Mario Maker
- Fighting game of the year: Mortal Kombat X
- Action game of the year: Star Wars Battlefront
*Identifying Monetised Links - outgoing links that we monetise are marked with an '*' symbol.