Battle Getting PSN Back up Online, Sony’s Q&A with Subcommittee

By Tina Chubb - May 4, 2011

As many of you will already be aware, the Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing and Trade of the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Energy and Commerce held a hearing today in Washington D.C., to address the recent attack on Sony’s PlayStation Network.

According to Patrick Seybold (Senior Director, Corporate Communications and Social Media) over on the website, Kazuo Hirai – the Chairman of the Board of Directors at Sony Computer Entertainment of America – gave written answers to the questions that were posed.

The subcommittee asked Hirai questions about the criminal cyber-attack that Sony has recently experienced. Sony told the subcommittee that they followed four key principles when dealing with the cyber attack. The first of these was to act with care and attention.

The other key principles were to provide the public with relevant information once it was verified, take responsibility for their obligations to customers and to work with the law enforcement authorities. Sony said they had been the victims of a very carefully planned and highly sophisticated attack.

Sony also informed the subcommittee that they discovered that the attackers had planted a file on one of its SOE servers called ‘Anonymous,’ with the words “We are legion.” Sony also said that as of today, major credit card firms had not reported any fraudulent transactions believed to have been a direct result of the recent cyber attack.

You can read more about the hearing via the website. What do you think about Sony’s responses to the questions?

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Google Plus.

Also See: Raiden IV: Overkill retro shooter coming to PSN next month