The Wii U may not be launching until November 18 in the US, but for some dedicated fans, the launch has already started. Nintendo fan Isaiah-Triforce Johnson has been queuing for the new console since October 22nd, but has now been told to give up his position at the front of the New York queue due to the growing threat of Hurricane Sandy.
If you are not aware yet, Hurricane Sandy is causing all sorts of problems in the US, with even the presidential election events having to be postponed as state of emergencies begin in some states. Health is obviously important, but imagine queuing for over a week for a product that you really want, only then to be told that you have to simply go home because it is not safe.
That is what has happened to Isaiah-Triforce Johnson, who has previously set up camps to be first in line for Nintendo Wii and 3DS launches. He has told his Twitter followers that the security guard at the Nintendo World shop has given him his marching orders, but luckily, it appears that Nintendo has ‘officially’ suspended the queue and Johnson will be allowed to resume his position when the weather is deemed safe enough to travel outside.
At least Johnson has taken the disappointment with some humor though, as he revealed the following Tweet below insisting that although he was a die hard Nintendo fan, he wouldn’t die hard over a video games system – we liked that. Even if he does resume the queue only to find that someone else is waiting in his place, he’ll probably be granted the front position anyway due to the coverage he has received so far.
Have you ever queued up overnight for a product launch? It seems a little extreme in our opinion, but it sure generates a lot of interest – just ask Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak who always aims to queue up normally and buy all of his Apple products himself.