Earlier this morning we told you about the surprising security problems affecting O2 smartphones when connecting to the internet and visiting websites. Now after fixing the problem O2 says sorry for the security breach and is blaming maintenance.
The issue meant that user’s phone numbers were displayed when users visited websites from their smartphone, which has led to the apology. O2 finally responded after a massive amount of users took to Twitter to voice their anger about the issue.
The company did stop short though with their apology and only commented on the concern caused according to TechRadar. The company said that it saw the reports from this morning, and after investigating they fixed the problem this afternoon. They finished off by saying “we would like to apologize for the concern we have caused”.
When the company was asked how long the problem had been running for, O2 replied by saying that it was between January 10th and 1400 hours this afternoon. O2 added that besides the usual trusted partners other website owners may have had access to user’s phone numbers.
The carrier blamed the problem on “technical changes we implemented as part of routine maintenance”, and added it had the “unintended effect of making it possible in certain circumstances for website owners to see the mobile numbers of those browsing their site”
Even though the problem has now been fixed it will have caused a lot of embarrassment of the carrier, without even mentioning the worry it would have caused for users. Are you an O2 customer?
Also See: O2 network in major outage on May 25