Milly Dowler phone hack leaves British public outraged

By Chris Cook - Jul 7, 2011

The case of the murdered schoolgirl, Milly Dowler made the headlines recently when police finally able to confirm who was responsible for the brutal crime nine years ago. Since then the case has made the headlines once again as a scandal has emerged involving the hacking of the victim’s phone leaving her family and the people of Britain outraged.

The family’s lawyer, Mark Lewis claimed that police had told the parents of Milly Dowler that Glenn Mulcaire of British newspaper News of the World had hacked into her voicemail while her whereabouts was being investigated. Claims that he also intercepted and deleted messages that were left on the phone by loved ones have also been announced.

According to the article at BBC, The Guardian says the deleted messages gave the family false hopes that the missing girl was still alive. The phone had received so many messages that it reached its limit; this meant any messages that had been sent after that were not being received. Until of course the old ones had been deleted giving the impression that Milly was still using her mobile. It is thought the reason for the hack was to get an exclusive story.

Since this news emerged, the public have been in uproar over the claims, calling it despicable and calling for action to be taken. Even the UK Prime Minister David Cameron has requested a public inquiry into the allegations that News of the World are facing, claiming the hacking news is ‘disgusting’ and has led to ‘revulsion’ amongst the British public.

Cameron himself has also come under some criticism however over the way he is handling the situation. He is being accused of being ‘out of touch’ as he has told MPs an inquiry won’t happen until police conclude their investigations, when it is thought it should be sooner. It has also emerged that the PM’s Head of Communications, Andy Coulson, was deputy editor of the paper at the time of the victim’s disappearance and claims he knew nothing of the scandal.

Chief Executive of News International, News of the Worlds’ parent company, Rebekah Brooks was the editor of the paper in 2002 when the victim was reported missing. However she is also claiming that she knew nothing of the phone hacking scandal at the time. Her future position in the company is now in question despite her claims.

What are your thoughts on the scandal?

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Google Plus.