Speculating new White MacBook or discontinue rumors

By Updated on

Over the past few weeks and months news has started to move up a gear when it comes to a 2011 MacBook Air, but now people have been speculating a new white MacBook as well. Although there are also discontinue rumors for the old workhorse as well. Some might be happy to see it go, but Apple might just throw the laptop a lifeline?

The $1000 MacBook is now in short supply and one would not have expected any different, as the hardware used is not what you would call up-to-date. The likes of Amazon and other resellers are now totally out of stock, and have no clue as to when more will be coming in. There are no ETAs on deliveries, so now it seems that we will just have to wait and see what Apple’s next move it.

There have not been any rumors of a refresh, but just maybe Apple will announce something along with a new MacBook Air as well? Speaking of the Air, I now have a dilemma of my own, as I was going to get the new model if and when it comes out. However, I now find myself edging towards an iMac instead.

Having worked full-time on a MBA for almost two years, it has taken me this long to realize that it is just not practical. Anyway, back to the matter in hand. The current white MacBook only comes with an Intel 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo CPU and a low-end GeForce 320M GPU. Now we cannot say for certain what spec bump the refresh would get if not discontinued, but we would expect Intel’s Sandy Bridge for a start.

Another must would be Mac OS X Lion and also Thunderbolt, but we cannot be certain about the latter. Apple Insider does make a good point though, when they say that we should not expect any new Mac devices until Lion is released – it is for that reason why I am holding off on my iMac purchase.

Apple still might call it a day on the white MacBook, as it was meant to be the most well liked of all the MacBooks. However, the MacBook Pro and the Air has certainly put a stop to that idea though. It is now make or break time, so will the laptop be able to survive the Apple executioner? If it does, then we should expect to see a new model in either July or August.

Also See: iOS 8.1 problems for early adopters