Kindle 3: Internal Microphone – Voice Control Rumors

By Updated on

A few days ago we revealed the price, specs and release date for Amazon’s latest and greatest Kindle, the Kindle 3, however we failed to mention that it features an internal microphone.

Amazon has kept quiet about the microphone, however one of SlashGear’s recent articles suggests that in the Kindle 3′s user guide the microphone gets a mention, here is the exact extract “the microphone is not currently enabled but is provided for future use”.

This has started off speculation surrounding what exactly this future use will entail, most of which point towards either voice navigation, audio annotations or perhaps some sort of voice call functionality.

I’m sure over the next few days or weeks rumors will continue to spread, therefore we will do our best to keep you informed with what we regard to be believable new functions.

What would you like this internal microphone to be used for?

Source: SlashGear

Also See: Kindle Case Causes Rebooting Problem?

  • wordsmith

    well, if the textbook market ramps up for Kindle — hopefully not the price gouging that textbooks are at now — a microphone would be a useful to record a lecture. I'm not sure voice control is really needed for a e-reader. Once you're reading a book, you basically need to "page next" which is easily accomplished by a single button. That one action probably accounts for 90% of the time you spend using a Kindle. Not sure voice control is necessary or desirable for the other 10%.

  • http://matt.matt.com matt

    hmm my Psion MC400 had a microphone that was never enabled!

  • Sylvia

    I work in a community rehabilitation setting. Having voice control would enable a large part of the population I serve to readily access popular fiction. As well, in British Columbia we have 'hands free' legislation for e devices when driving. If I were using my Kindle as an audio book, I'd need to be able to turn the page!

    • Matt Conway

      As Sylvia hints at this would allow people w/ fine motor issues or even complete paraplegics to control their devices with simple commands such as “next” “back” “select” and “menu” giving them entertainment completely under their own control.

  • http://www.facebook.com/alexander.shulz Alexander Shulz

    matt  you can’t know  was it enabled or no)