We have recently heard that McDonald’s have voluntarily recalled 12 million Shrek glasses, these glasses are painted with Shrek characters such as Donkey, Shrek, Princess Fiona and Puss in boots, however the paint they used contains excessive amounts of a harmful chemical element called Cadmium.
Cadmium poisoning is a well-known hazard in many industry processes, the real risk is associated with inhalation of fumes containing Cadmium, however this is not a risk with recalled glasses as McDonald’s are only reporting a small amount of the toxin in the glass’s paint, which experts believe could cause possible kidney damage.
It is good that McDonald’s have recalled the glasses, however the real question is should more be done before such products become available to such a wide-range of consumers, lets face it this is not the first time a McDonald’s toy/gift has been regarded a hazard to the public (mainly children).
Personally I think product recalls are becoming more and more frequent, therefore should such products go through more testing and investigation before being rolled out?
I think it would be in everyone’s interest if an independent safety inspection took place before products of this nature become mainstream, it’s obvious that the measures in-place at the moment are not up to standard.